What is one domain or example question that you consider to be off topic? (Please post just one per answer.)
Legal questions should be off-topic.
(There is, I suppose, a philosophy of law, but it would probably start at a much higher level than copyright.)
- Questions about teaching philosophy should probably be on topic; those about job prospects for majors should probably be off topic.
- questions about the meaning of life are off-topic
- zen koans are off topic (anything starting with "if a tree...")
I'd say that questions like this are off-topic, whereas actual questions related to logic and reasoning are on-topic.
Any question that would not even be considered for a undergraduate exam should be off-topic here.
For example, those questions that:
- display no domain awareness whatsoever (have you done any research? ANY?)
- are too broad (which is almost certainly a consequence of not understanding the domain)
- require, due to their scope, more than a thousand words to answer
Beginner cogito style questions are off topic, e.g.:
1 How do I know I'm not a brain in a jar
2 How can I be sure I'm not dreaming?
3 Do I exist?
There should never be any more questions under either the
zombie or the